Program Educational Objectives
Five years after completing the program, graduates from the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Universidad de los Andes are expected to:
- Achieve professional success while providing advancement of their working environment (hospitals, industry, public institutions and academia).
- Create ethical and effective solutions to biomedical engineering problems in a multidisciplinary environment being particularly sensitive to Colombian challenges.
- Pursue graduate studies to contribute to the expansion of biomedical engineering knowledge through research.
The program of Biomedical Engineering at University de los Andes aims students accomplish the following learning outcomes by the time of graduation:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice